Monday, February 07, 2011

Welcome to i♥Hamsters!

Welcome to my own personal little corner on the web! I am thinking about purchasing the domain name, so be on the look out for that soon! The only natural first post is an introduction post, right? My name is Shelly. I'm 22 years old, and I live in Southern California. I live with my boyfriend; Jim, and our 3 hamsters, one of which we just got two days ago! We have been keeping hamsters for nearly two years, so by no means do I claim to be an expert. I had always wanted a dwarf hamster when I was younger, but my parents always said no. Like every other kid, I didn't understand why I couldn't have it. Looking back now, I am glad I was unable to buy a hamster at that time because I would of not been able to properly care for a furry friend the way that I would now.

I got my first hamsters on April 19th 2009. My boyfriend and I had recently moved into an apartment and had wanted a pet. Our room mates already had a cat, so we had to think of something that would be fine just living in our small room. I looked into dwarf hamsters, and the minute we laid eyes on the Roborovskiis, we fell in love! We purchased two little girls. Jim, picked out Micro because she was running on her wheel, and I picked out Nano; the smallest of the group. Our first set-up for them consisted of the Crittertrail X-Treme, the Crittertrail Mini and the little yellow bus, though it soon to become a massive set-up! A Crittertrail Outlook, a Crittertrail One, a Crittertrail Discovery Deluxe, a Crittertrail X-Treme, a blue transport Habitrail Ovo, the little yellow bus and lots of tubes quickly became their paradise. It took about two hours to clean with two people. Micro passed on April 6th 2010 of a mammary tumor that seemed to grow nearly overnight. We took her to the vet, but there was nothing they could do. She died later that day. Micro Moonchkie is one of the main reasons I wanted to create this blog. Nano is still doing great. She is nearly two years old. She is showing signs of aging, such as hair loss and thinning, but she's still rather active throughout her cage. 

We adopted our second hamster from Jim's mother and sister during our Christmas 2010 vacation at their house. He is a long haired satin golden banded Syrian hamster. They originally purchased him during Summer of 2009, so he is about a year and a half old. They named him Hammy, but I felt that was far too plain for such a great hamster, thus Sir Hamilton McFluffy of the Syrian Longhairs was born. He loves his new found "freedom", upgrading from two Crittertrail cages into a nice big cage with a senior sized Wodent Wheel. McFluffy is quite the contrast from Nano. I am able to pick him up and play with him, and I don't have to worry about him running away in a split second. He makes me very happy.

Periwinkle, a Sapphire Winter White, came into our lives rather suddenly. On Feb. 4th 2011, a friend of mine sent me an email asking if I would like to adopt her. Her birthdate is December 23rd 2010. She was picked on by her colony and had to be separated from the group. She was quite fearful, but just needed time to trust. How could I say no? I picked her up the next day. She is about six weeks old. I was quite apprehensive about getting a new hamster that is afraid of me since Nano always bites me, but I've already seen so much improvement with Periwinkle. She used to squeak and hide every time she saw you paying attention to her, but here we are, just a few days later and she doesn't mind people watching her. She doesn't squeak as much. We are working on socializing with her every day. I have high hopes for her. She currently lives in a Crittertrail cage, but I am looking to upgrade her to a bin when she's a bit older.

Sorry for such a long post, but I seem to have gotten everything covered. I upload videos of my hamsters all the time, so if you would like to check out more, please visit my Youtube Channel for many more videos of my furry friends. 


2 comments:

Me, too! ^__^ Thanks for all of your help!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More